Friday 8 October 2010

Relief Form

This lesson we moved from working with books to working with magazines. We were given the brief to recreate in our own way the work of Cara Barer- particularly her piece Sea Nettle,



To create this we were given a section of a magazine that had been cut at the spine so it was divided up. We then spread out all of the pages and started to roll them up and curl them.
 Adding another page at a time we used paper clips to secure them to each other.
We wanted to make sure we kept the feeling of Sea Nettle by making sure the piece almost looks like it is floating in the air so we kept that in mind.
Once we had paper clipped the whole of the spine we used a glue stick to secure the pages together.

Cara Barer has also done many other pieces in which she made look like they are floating in the air.
For example Argon has the same structure except colour has been injected into it making it slightly more eye catching than the others.
 It is also more study looking than Sea Nettle due to the fact the pages are more sticking out and straighter.
    Aragon by Cara Barer



Here is my attempt




I am quite impressed with how quite a simple constructing of the piece creates a complicated looking sculpture and I think this is effective.
I do think that my piece isn't as good as Cara Barer's  though because she used every single sheet really neatly and used a whole book as we used small magazines and glossy books so the loops and circles were more floppy and the radius of the circles were bigger, not squished.


I am very happy with how my sculpture came out because I was given a much smaller book therefore there was less width to be creative with. But there was an advantage, my book was much more sturdier and therefore not as floppy as everyone else's. This did make my book much more easier to move and to stick into place in my opinion.

I have connected my piece well to Cara's because I have tried to recreate the feeling of being weightless ,which is what I think most of her pieces are showing, and to create the swirls and circles that you can't see the beginning or end of and they finish in many unexpected places.
I also think that I have used spacial awareness and variety, not just making the same shaped loop every time, but varying the size, rhythm and structure of each individual curve.

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous introduction Abigail.

    Can you upload an image without the hands, try laying the piece onto a plain piece of paper and photographing it from above.

    Also, add annotation that reflects on what you think of your final outcome, connections to Barer's piece and improvements you could make.

    A very enjoyable post, well done

    ReplyDelete